Saturday 13 April 2013

Pandan Kaya Cake by Vanessa Tay

Pandan Kaya Cake
(Pandan Fudge Cake)


 



Ingredients:

A
Egg yolks 7
Hong Kong Flour 250g
Optima Flour 250g
Olive Oil 150ml
Fresh Milk 150ml
Pandan Water (water bolied with pandan leaves) 50ml (I blended the leaves with water for the juice instead)
Bicarbonate of Soda 1/2 tsp
Green Food Colouring 2 tsp

B
Egg Whites 7
Sugar 150g (I reduced to 125g. Can further reduce, I think, to 100g)
Cream of Tartar 1/2 tsp

Method:

1. Preheat oven to 180 deg cel.
2. Place ingredients A in a bowl and stir well, using a hand whisk (I use mixer)
3. Place ingredients B in a mixer and beat at high speed for 2-3 minutes.
4. Pour mixture A into bowl of mixture B. Fold in well.
5. Pour mixture into 2 baking trays 11" x 11" x 2" and bake at 180 deg cel for 30-35min. (I don't have such big trays, so I baked in one 9" tin as I also wanted a high cake to slice into 3 layers.)

Fudge Topping:

A
Coconut milk (from 3 fresh coconuts) 800ml (I used package coconut milk)
Pandan Water (water bolied with pandan leaves) 400ml
Sugar 225g (I reduced to 200g but would further reduce for next baking)
Instant jelly 1 tbsp

B
Custard powder 75g
Water 400ml
Green food colouring 1 tsp
Lemon Yellow Food Colouring 1 tsp
Salt 1/4tsp

Method:

1. Mix ingredients B together and stir well.
2. Mix ingredients A in a pot and place over the stive. Stir till it boils.
3. Pour in the mixed ingredients B and cook till it thickens.
4. Pour the topping on top of the cooled cake and decorate as desired. (I made into a 3-layer cake and used dessicated coconut to decorate the sides of the cake.)

Source: Bake King Recipe Book

* Please feel free to use own sponge cake recipe. This is the first time using Optima flour after hearing so much about it. You may use other sponge cake mix. Personally I prefer to bake sponge cakes from scratch.
* You may want to consider halving the recipe to fit into 8 inch tin as this yields a very big cake.


1 comment:

  1. may i know do you unmould immediately or you overturn it to cool

    ReplyDelete